Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Review of Memphis and Next to Normal the second time around.

My review of Memphis.
First of all we got to the theatre 20 minutes late because it took us 7 hours to get to new jersey where our hotel is. Then we had to take the scary bus into the city. But because Memphis is in the begining of the previews I think it started ten minutes late so I don't think we missed much. First of all the music is a powerhouse. Amazing voices.especially montego glover. Wow. The book is a little weak jn the second act it seems like they just needed to finish the show somehow and just made a bunch of shit up. The accents killed me though. Everyones was different but i think they will grow into them with time. The actor who played Huey calhouns accent sounded like George bush and Forrest gump put together. Overall I would recommend this show it's really good they just need to work out a few things which is what previews are for. I also think it is too small of a show to make it through the winter so run don't walk! To Memphis. Hakadoo!

Next to normal take 2!
This show has only gotten better since I saw it bedew the Tonys. I was glad to see Aaron tveit back as Gabe. I went into this show knowing Bonny Spencer would be out and Michael berry would be on as dan. I was unimpressed with his take on the role butwas very impressed with his voice. I was suprised at how tight Jennifer damianos peformance was since I had seen her last. She really gets her character and has found herself in the role. Adam chanlar-barat was the same. Louis hobson was much funnier than I remember especially during the scary rockstrar part. Now on to the love of my life Alice ripley. Is there any we'd to explain her? No. She gives the most impressive performance u have ever seen. I beloved she is Diana watching Her on stage. When she is upset on stage she actually has tears fallig down her face. As an actor I knownit helps immensly when everyone else on stagenis giving it their all ad you have something more to work off of. As I am sure this helps Aaron tveit as he is comforting her. This is a show that means alot to me and I could see it an unlimited amount of times. I think it will be around for a long time but go see it while it's still fresh!

No comments:

Post a Comment