Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Opinions on Upcoming Closings And Opening of Shows

Within the next couple weeks a few shows are closing and a few are opening. Some are better than others in my opinion.

9to5-9to5 is closing on 9/6. Which is kind of ironic? This show opened 6 months ago to mixed reviews. I saw it for the first time in the last few previews. I thought the show was alot of fun and was the perfect choice for adapting the movie version into a musical. It was at a perfect time too because of the economic crisis and the need for inspiration. The music was a 6 out of 10. The story was a 7 out of 10. The acting was 9 out of 10. Allison Janney was strong. Megan Hilty was adorable. Stephanie J. Block was a powerhouse. The suprise for me was Kathy Fitzgerald as Roz. Almost made me piss my pants a few times. I new it was over for this show when they were D-NYED. At the Tony's and Shrek recieved a ton of nominations.

Avenue Q-This show is ingenious. It will live to be a classic forever. I always appreciate shows that start little but then become a huge success. In its 6th year the success of this show was built upon them winning the 2004 Tony award for best new musical. It is unpredictable/ relatable/ and smart. The music become a little redundant because they are all in the style of Sesame Street basically. But alot of the songs are memorable. I like the fact that this show for the most part stays away from stunt casting and relies on the name and the story to sell tickets.
http://www.solarnavigator.net/films_movies_actors/actors_films_images/puppet_show_Avenue_Q_publicity_group.jpg

Bye Bye Birdie-I have a feeling it will be this years Guys and Dolls Revival. It will open and be sold out for a month and then go downhill. Plus it is starring alot of movie stars and they sometimes don't have the same stamina as broadway performers and kill the shows energy.(Oliver Platt) John Stamos is going to be good acting but im not sure about singing. Can Gina Gershon sing? The guy who is Birdie looks like hes dying. Kim and Hugo will be good though. Mr and Mrs Mcafee will be funny. And the woman playing John Stamos characters mom will be hilarious as well. I will rush this.
http://www.newyorkology.com/byebyebirdielogo09.jpg

The Aadams Family- Starring Bebe Neuwirth(Velma in Chicago) as Morticia, Nathan Lane(The Producers) as Gomez. As well as many other popular broadway greats including Jackie Hoffman, Chrysta Rodriguez. I think they can do an amazing show if they dont think about the money like shows such as Catch Me If You Can. I am excited to see this!

Superior Donuts-New play by Tracy Letts, author of August: Osage County. I am skeptical but i was also skeptical about August and it was the best play i've ever seen. I will probably rush this or get a discount somehow.

Spider-man Turn Off The Dark-I am very curious about this but skeptical. Which is the reason that i saw Shrek the musical. I don't know how they will make it look as if Spidey and The Green Goblin are flying. If it is anything like the wire work at Mary Poppins i will be severely dissapointed. I am guessing the score will be less than memorable.

No comments:

Post a Comment